Friday Five Tool Five (Nov. 19)
Introducing the Friday Five Tool Five. National Scouting Director of Five Tool Drew Bishop gives out thoughts and information on Five Topics on his mind. This new segment will be a weekly occurrence.
In the first installment of the Friday Five Tool Five, I wanted to touch on a couple different topics related to National Signing Day:
1. Post National Signing Day for the #UNCOMMITTED
National Signing Day in the early signing period is filled with excitement for some and angst for others but as Dustin McComas and I have alluded to numerous times on the Five Tool Baseball Podcast (www.fivetool.org/five-tool-podcast), there is no need to panic. There is plenty of time remaining for you to find the right fit if you are not committed as a senior. Be patient, work hard, and be proactive by doing some of the following things heading in to your spring season:
- Contact coaches at schools you are interested in and give them an accurate schedule of what your spring looks like including game dates and times if you have them.
- Make sure your arm and body are ready to go by staying in shape, eating well, and playing catch over your break. DO NOT show up on day one of your high school practice without being ready. Create a routine that you will be able to stick to with teammates.
- Remind yourself that you can only control what you can control when it comes to recruiting. Do not put too much pressure on yourself with unrealistic expectations or thinking every at bat or outing on the mound will determine your post high-school success.
2. Post National Signing Day for the #SIGNED
For those that did sign, be excited because you have worked hard to get to this point in your baseball career. At the same time, understand that this is only a milestone (albeit a big one) in your playing days. Go into your holiday season with the attitude that you are going to prove that school right for giving you a scholarship and to better yourself and teammates for your senior year.
3. Commitment Spotlight
Caden Sorrell | 2023 OF | Flower Mound Marcus | United Baseball Club
Caden Sorrell gave his commitment to Jim Schlossnagle’s Texas A&M program on Wednesday, becoming the Aggies 13th commit in the 2023 class. The physical, athletic left hander is the third OF in this class to go along with Bennett Fryman (Frisco Lone Star) and Brady Sullivan (Cy Woods). With Sorrell’s commitment, Nolan Cain stays hot on the recruiting trail since being hired as the Recruiting Coordinator in College Station.
— ✭Five Tool Texas✭ (@FiveToolTexas) June 16, 2021
4. Uncommitted Spotlight
Levi Sotomayor | 2022 LHP/1B/OF | Galena HS (NV) | CBA Victus North Upperclass/Muckdogs Baseball Club
An unsigned senior from Galena High School in Reno, Nevada, Levi Sotomayor was a member of the Five Tool Academic team (@FiveToolGPA) that we took to the Arizona Fall Classic. Levi has two-way potential in college as he continues to fill out his 6’2” frame. Currently tipping the scales at 170, Levi has been up to 85 mph but with the frame and potential growth, I think Levi will easily be able to pitch from 88-92 in college from the left side. As a hitter, Levi has easy double power to both gaps currently but should turn some of those into home runs as he gains weight and strength in a college strength and conditioning program. His ability to run a 6.70 60 along with his baseball instincts allow him to play fast on the baseball field as he aggressively took the extra base multiple times in Arizona. Over the course of the weekend, Levi impressed me with his feel in multiple facets of the game, which should allow him to contribute early at Power 5 program as he continues to grow into his body.
— Five Tool Academics (@FiveToolGPA) October 2, 2021
5. Five Tool News
Be sure to check @FiveTool on Twitter as well as www.fivetool.org for announcements of our summer schedule of events. For a current list of tentative events, you can visit the following link Tentative Events. Registration for the 2022 summer events will begin on January 1, 2022. Over 100 tournaments are scheduled across 13 different areas.
We will be bringing back the following featured events:
· June 7-12: AABC Connie Mack WS Qualifier (18U), Dallas-Fort Worth, TX
· June 14-19: Pudge Rodriguez World Classic (16U), Melissa, TX
· June 21-26: Alex Bregman World Series (15U), Melissa, TX
· June 28-July 3: College Championships (15U-17U), Dallas-Fort Worth / Houston TX
· July 5-10: AABC Don Mattingly World Series (17U), Melissa, TX
· July 20-24: Five Tool World Series (15U-18U), Dallas-Fort Worth, TX
· August 3-7: Five Tool West World Series (15U-18U), Los Angeles, CA